Our pre-order deadline's passed - sorry!
Super simple Christmas cake, sorted. We'll weigh and pack up all the dry ingredients. You pick them up, follow our recipe, 'feed' it plenty of booze 'til it's time to ice it - done! Makes 12-15 slices.
What's in the kit?
Everything's organic except for the cherries and muscovado sugar.
1kg mixed dried fruit
- 150g raisins (raisins 99.7%, sunflower oil 0.3%)
- 150g sultanas (sultanas 99.7%, sunflower oil 0.3%)
- 150g currants (100%)
- 150g glace cherries (cherries 56%, glucose fructose syrup 37%, sugar 5.63%, citric acid, preservative: potassium sorbate, colour: e127, preservative: sulphur dioxide)
- 150g cranberries (cranberries 60%, apple juice concentrate 39%, sunflower oil < 1%)
- 150g chopped apricots (apricots 95%, rice flour 5%)
- 100g mixed peel (glucose corn syrup 60-75%, orange and lemon peel 25-40%, salt 0.125%)
200g light muscovado sugar (100%)
175g self-raising flour (wheat flour, raising agents, statutory nutrients)
100g ground almonds (100%)
100g flaked almonds (100%)
2 tsp mixed spice (coriander, cinnamon, ginger, caraway, cloves, nutmeg)
1 tsp cinnamon
What you'll need to add...
- 250g butter
- 4 large eggs
- 150ml of brandy, sherry, whisky, rum or amaretto
Christmas cake kit - non-vegan option
Put the dried fruit, the alcohol, the butter and the sugar into a large pan over a medium heat.
Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Tip the fruit mixture into a bowl and leave to cool.
Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line a deep 20cm tin with baking parchment then wrap a double layer of paper (newspaper or other thick paper) around the outside – tie with some string to secure.
Add the flour, the ground and flaked almonds, spices and eggs to the fruit mixture and stir well.
Tip the mixture into your prepared tin and level the top with a spatula. Bake in the centre of the oven for around 2 hours.
Remove the cake from the oven, pierce the top with a skewer and spoon over 2 tbsp of the alcohol. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
To store, peel off the baking parchment then wrap in more parchment paper and place in an airtight container. Feed the cake with 1-2 tbsp alcohol every two weeks until you ice it.